Week 9: List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
- My parents (do they count for two?). Ok, They count for two. They are awesome. Seriously great parents, consistent when we were kids, they backed each other up, they didn't argue or complain about money in front of us, they supported us in what we wanted to try if they could afford it and they raised us in the Church. As we became adults, I'm finding out some of the trials they survived and the tough times they had when we were kids and I respect them all that much more.
- My grandmother. She was a very strong woman who kept her 12 kids clothed and fed with little money coming into the house. She was a Christian woman, knew the Bible and hummed hymns in the kitchen. And she never spoke poorly of anyone... she just wouldn't say anything at all. I wish I could be much more like her.
- This might sound silly, but Laura Bush. I have looked up to her since she first came on the scene because she has such poise and grace under any circumstance. She is someone I've wanted to learn more about and mimic, although I'm nothing like her.
- Paulene. When I first met Paulene, she was so very shy and quiet. Since that time, she has turned into a mastermind behind her own Etsy shop, proudly selling her designs on stationary and invitations and doing VERY well at it. She's much more talented than me and confident - she's definitely an inspiration to me that I admire greatly.
- MJ. MJ is very much like Laura Bush, but she's actually someone I know! :) It's with her support and encouragement I have volunteered in leadership positions and tried for other areas of personal growth. She is a great influence and sports a huge heart. I'm thankful to have her as my friend and mentor.
- My Ex BF. We were friends for a million years and I made a very tough decision to let him go so I could move forward. But make no mistake, he was a huge influence on my life - especially during the three years we dated. He helped teach me to stand up for myself, to logically present my "case," to debate with the best of them, and he made me feel very beautiful despite being one very chunky monkey.
- Grace. She and I really butted heads for a while there, and I know me - I didn't change. But one day she did and I can't imagine how difficult that was to do. She is someone I greatly respect now and I'm so glad we are friends! It's a crazy story to look back on, but she is a much bigger person than I am. I have a lot to learn from her.
- Sherry! Sherry is one of the most unique individuals with a radar for people. She can tune into what the issue is in a blink. It's amazing. I've turned to her for counsel many times over the years and I respect her opinions. I wish she lived closer, although she probably glad she doesn't so she doesn't have to listen to me as much!
- YOU. You, the bloggers, the commenters, and the readers. I love to see what you are doing, to learn from you and how you handle adversity in life. I've been inspired by your talents, your faith, your positive energy. So thank you for sharing your life with me!
- My parents counted for two! :)
OK. that's a long submission - but there you go. I hope you notice I rarely look up to celebrities and such. I have little time for them. It's the people in my everyday life that I have the greatest appreciation for and look to for their input and direction.