Saturday, May 5, 2012

Salute!

Today one of my coworkers and I attended a Family Readiness Event for a Army National Guard unit deploying from our hometown.  Working in the elections business, I feel so strongly about these folks having the opportunity to vote, should they want to, no matter where they may be station in this world.  After all, they are the ones putting their lives on the line to protect this freedom.

We didn't know what to expect, really, but let me just say, OUR MILITARY PEEPS ARE AWESOME. You couldn't ask for nicer guys and gals, all thanking us for taking our time to be there for them.  Here we are saying - No THANK YOU!  It was so humbling and made is so thankful we were able to attend.

It's so sad how many military personnel and their dependents didn't realize they could vote by email.  We were really encouraging people to sign up while we were there, however, if you know someone they can also sign up for absentee ballots at www.fvap.gov.  Really good website.

The Command Sergeant Major gave both of us one of his coins for attending. I am so excited!! I've never received a coin before so I'm tickled red, white and blue! :)  I'm not sure what all it means - I just take it as a sign of respect and honor, which blows me away. I know it's a big deal, let's put it that way.

It does make me sad that I'm not sharing this with my Air Force friend... tough decisions were made on my part... I feel they were the right decisions but so difficult, too.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and heading home to get some dindin. Hope you are having a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I read all comments and try to respond - by email if you aren't a "no comment" blogger! (Check your settings!) I love feedback so feel free to drop me a line anytime. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...